Part of the eight-level Macmillan English Explorers reading scheme
Macmillan English Explorers is an exciting reading programme developed specifically for children learning English in kindergarten and primary schools. Written with second language learners in mind, these books expose children to real language and develop their reading and vocabulary skills.
This series forms an eight-level reading scheme written specifically for young learners of English. Informed by the National Literacy Strategy and by teaching methodology for first language speakers of English, Macmillan English Explorers are supported by an understanding of the needs of young learners and teachers of English. The scheme, which currently has over 50 readers plus supplementary materials, can be used alongside any primary course.
- The rich variety of texts, from original fiction to legends, means any child can enjoy reading, wherever their interests lie
- Comprehension Workbooks develop a range of reading skills while Phonics Workbooks support the systematic teaching of phonics
- ‘Comprehension Extra’ activities in the Teacher’s Notes encourage students to consider aspects of the text such as characterisation, style and plot
- Word-recognition skills are reinforced by the Workbooks and wordcards (included in the Teacher’s Notes)
- The Teacher’s Notes support structured whole-class teaching with page-by-page lesson notes
- Cross-curricular school content at higher levels means children can make links to other school subjects
- The stories promote social values such as friendship and respect
Little Explorers A: Comprehension Workbook
Little Explorers A are aimed at children aged 4-5. The Comprehension and Vocabulary Workbook develops reading comprehension skills, reinforces vocabulary, supports the teaching of phonics and provides opportunitites for writing.
Little Explorers B: Comprehension Workbook
Little Explorers B are aimed at children aged 5-6. The Comprehension and Vocabulary Workbook develops reading comprehension skills, reinforces vocabulary, supports the teaching of phonics and provides opportunitites for writing.